The Eastland-Fairfield Career & Technical Schools - Adult Workforce Development Center
offers a full-time certification program to become a dental assistant.
Our program which includes 150 externship hours at The Ohio State University College of
Dentistry and surrounding dental businessees, will thoroughly prepare each individual to
enter the dental field. The program is designed to provide the clinical and administrative
skills necessary to become a Certified Dental Assistant and Dental Radiographer.
Students will complete the dental assisting program in 9 months. During the program,
students will study dental anatomy, preventative dentistry, radiology, and more. Our goal
is to challenge each student to be the most well-rounded candidate possible.
The Dental Assisting program prepares students to take the Certified Dental Assistant exam
offered by the Ohio Commission on Ohio Dental Assistants (CODA) as well as the Dental
Radiographer exam through the Ohio State Dental Board.
Planning a Career in Dentistry
A career as a dental assistant comes with some unexpected benefits. The versatile work
environment will be filled with new challenges on a daily basis, including maintaining
patient records and assisting the dentist during procedures and examinations. This keeps
every day interesting and continues the education process while working with dentists,
surgeons, and other professionals. In combination with the hands-on learning, the rewarding
feeling of helping others is an advantage that keeps employees motivated. Furthermore, this
role is often the start of a lengthy career that includes promotions and job growth.
Explore the application process to find out how to get started on your next career path.
What You’ll Learn
- Dental Anatomy
- Infection Control and Hazards Management
- Emergency Procedures
- Preventative Dentistry
- Basic Chair-side Procedures
- Specialty Chair-side Procedures
- Dental Laboratory Procedures
- First Aid/CPR
- Dental Office Procedures
- Communication Skills
- Dental Assistant - Commission on Ohio Dental Assistant Certification
- Dental Radiologist - Ohio State Dental Board
- Healthcare Provider Certification (CPR/AED) - AHA
- OSHA - Bloodborne Pathogens
- National Career Readiness - ACT
- Age 18 or older
- High School Diploma or GED
- Background Check
- Proof of negative TB 1-Step test
- 3-Series Hepatitis B or proof of titer with immunity
- Measles, Mumps, and Rubella
- Varicella (Chickenpox)
- Tetanus (or Tdap)
- Influenza (Flu)